Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passover

Last night was passover. I joined some friends for a passover meal. One of the 4 cups of wine is the cup of sorrow or blessing. The Jewish people remove a drop of wine for each of the plagues that the Lord sent upon the Egyptians before the Exodus. They do this because it is a sad thing, and not a thing to be celebrated when justice requires suffering from the hand of God. We celebrate that He has been glorified and is victor, but not that any have been harmed. As we removed drop by drop for disease, boils, infestations....tears burned in my eyes. For once I can actually imagine what it may have looked like, just a little glimpse, because of what I have seen in Haiti. I do not stop praying for Haiti!

For my friends and I at dinner we were also remembering the night as it was the last meal and act that Jesus took part in before His death on the cross. The very last cup that is taken in is the cup of glory/celebration. The Jewish people will say, "This year in Jerusalem, next year in the New Jerusalem." We of course said, "This year in KC, next year in the New Jerusalem."

Thinking of the Lord's last supper, I am also thinking of my last evening with the children and their families in Haiti. Our last day together was full of teaching so that the caretakers would know how to care for their children once I was no longer there to care for them. I went around giving gifts and notes that I had written. We said goodbye to two of our families who were ready to leave that day. Then we all just played and waited for those who had gone off to the hospital that day for pin/cast removals.

When the van finally returned there was a slight dissapointment to see two of the girls still with pins and cast. As I watched them pile out I also noticed that Louise was not on the van. They had kept her in hospital! This was painful for me because not only was she left there all alone, but I would not get to say goodbye to her! I was holding Jean in my arms and I began to cry. I went inside and tried to pull myself together, but when I looked down at Jean I just cried more. But I knew I had to stop because we had been waiting all day to have our last Bible Study and now was the time before it got dark.

We met under the mango tree. As we began to sing the same 3 songs we always sing, I looked around at all the kids doing the motions and singing out. I lost it then again. I couldn't sing or stop the tears. I kept trying to laugh it off. Thankfully Reghi(my interpretor) knew all the songs and kept on for me. I managed to quietly get the words out and continue.

Our topic that night was Heaven. I read promises from scripture about Heaven, the mansions being prepared for us and how Jesus wouldn't lie about it. I read that there will be no more sorrow, tears or death. I told them I know they had all just been through so much death and sorrow and goodbyes and that now we have to say another goodbye, but that in Heaven there will be no more. We read that this is for those who chose Christ. And then we daydreamed about the fun that it will entail. I told them that in Heaven I will play soccer with Francellot. Right now on earth I am very bad at soccer, but in Heaven I will be really good! One day I may recall that I have not seen Nancy for 500 years, so I will go and spend 300 with her. We all laughed at these ideas. We talked about the great celebration when we will all be together.

The night before a couple others on my team and I muddled through making a batch of brownies in a Haitian kitchen (a whole nother story!). So after our Bible study I passed out brownies and gave each person a whole coke. Though it was quite a treat, I told them it was still the teensiest portion of what will be our feast in Heaven. Before passing out the treats, it was time to close in prayer. Nancy's uncle shouted out (as is his habit in our times together-and I am glad) saying that since it is my last night they should pray for me. All of them prayed at once, of course I cried again!

It was a sweet last night. So full of joy! A few of the girls stayed up with me until almost 10 pm, which was soo late for all of us! I will always treasure that night and look forward to the New Jerusalem with my new family!



1 comment:

Sandra's Latest... said...

Sweet! Good memories.
Definitely agree- better than be sad in saying goodbye than to never have met them at all.
Sounds like a fun party you had. I can imagine the kids giggling and laughing as you talked about all that would be possible in heaven :)
Well done Amanda!