Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Happy Heart

A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones. Prov. 17:22

Today the kids learned about the 10 lepers who were healed and how only 1 praised Jesus for it. Jesus still healed all 10, but only 1 had Jesus as a friend all the days of his life! The kids all shouted out things they were thankful to Jesus for and were given a sweetie(candy). Then the kids drew pictures of what they were thankful for. (Carlandia's answer was the best: I am thankful that Jesus made me walk again.) Oh the heart of a chid, so precious!

As for the rest of things around here:

Lastnight Jenny's mom had something like a seizure, some of us are thinking it is more demonic. She is one of the 3 moms that do not have Jesus. She is at Miami Field Hospital right now.

Dev: She threw up 7 times today. I almost started an IV on her, but instead tried the po challenge after taking her to the field hospital and getting anti-nausea medicine. She is doing well. She is asking for milk now, but we are going to take it slowly.

Greg, the physical therapist, has taught me so much. It was hard to see him go. The kids all loved him so much. He could speak french with them and they all smiled while he did treatments with them. Praying I can carry on with all that he has taught me. I will be doing alot of work with the kids who have pins in their legs, helping them to bend their legs and do some partial weight walking.

Baby Kevin seems to be very colicky these past two days. Talked with a local pediatrician who says to try my idea of sitting him up 30 minutes after meals before changing formula.

Jean is the happiest little guy ever! He loves listening to conversations and joining in with his little coo's and smiles.

Shakira gets up to her walker on her own now. Go sister!

Elson, who just had his cast removed was waddling around with his walker today. He was so proud with a big smile as he called my name to show what he could do. His grandmother also does not know Jesus, but I have seen a change in her that shows more and more joy.

Loise: (Sondra, we are taking care of her). She went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesterday and had her left leg manipulated to where it can bend because it was so stiff. She is doing well with therapy. I have been making sure she gets her bath each day and gets to a private spot to use the potty since her aunt still isn't here. Loise doesn't know where her aunt is.

Wingie: This is Jenny's brother who is perfectly healthy, perfectly sweet and perfectly cute! He charged into the clinic this morning and planted a kiss right on my cheek, smiled and went on with his busy little 3 year old life. I am smitten :D

Friends, please pray for me. I am like a protective mama of these 20+ kids and there are new volunteers who seem to think they know better or know more. It is causing risk for mistakes and also causing mistakes. It is surely an attitude of wanting to help, but it just may be mixed with a bit of something that isn't good. This thing of thinking they can cure all with one sweeping bit of brilliance or, I don't know. I do not want to be the judge, I just get nervous when they talk as if they have a certain kid all figured out when really what they are thinking is all wrong. (For example, giving little Rudy ativan because he cries that his mom won't give him the love he longs for and instead leaves him all alone.) I did put my foot down on this one. I am their advocate as their nurse. But I must must must remember that truly Jesus is their advocate as well as mine. HE IS IN CHARGE AND I CAN LAY ALL THESE CARES ON HIM!

Well friends, as always I am greatful for your prayers and finnishing another lovely day in Haiti.

Oh, and I have my translator still! The ministry I am serving with gave me the funds that would have been for my interpretor these last 2 weeks so we decided to give it to my interpretor so he could work with me. It is so necessary with all these extra tasks for the kids in physical therapy.

Love love love!

4 comments:

Sandra's Latest... said...

Dear friend,
What would I do without your blog posts. I still feel so much a part of the children's lives. Please tell them all a big hello from me when you get the chance. I am praying for them daily. And think about them many times a day. I thought of you around Bible Study time today. I am so glad to hear it is going well. Yay for Carlandia! Go girl. And yay for Elison!

How is Steevenson? Is he walking more with his cast off?

Sorry to hear about Jenny's mom. Did you see her at night? Or did the family practice doc go in? Was she given meds for seizure and then taken to Miami? I hope she fully recovers and I will pray for her. She really does need Jesus. I hope Jenny and Wengi are okay with it all...they have so much to deal with already.

Praying for Deve and Kevin.

Yay for physical therapy. I would love to see the pin kids doing more of that. Glad they enjoy it. Sounds like it's not been too painful. Are they still on stronger pain meds?

Thank you for taking care of Louise. I had no doubts! Hopefully no more worms...

So- Reggie is still with you. What an answer to prayer. Yeah!

And- do not feel bad about being a protective momma. These kids need it! Thank you for standing up for them. Medicine is definitely not always the answer. I agree it would not be beneficial for Rudy. I'm still praying there is a solution for him.

Big hug to you!

San

Anonymous said...

amanda i too feel like i am there reading your posts and wish so much to be there...thank you for doing what you are doing and for being the kids' voice. i miss them and you

Anonymous said...

Amanda! I love reading this! Keeps me up to date on how everyone is doing. I'm especially interested in Jenny's momma...who knows what spiritual battle is going on but Jesus. He is bigger than anything! I pray she surrenders to HIM!!! Can you imagine how her life and the lives of those 2 kids will be changed forever? She took that Bible from me...maybe someone will read it to her. :)
Hugs to all AND to Reggie. I'm so thankful he can still be there.
And please hug Mesheka for me.. Soft spot for her.
I love you and I love your ministry in Jesus' name. May He "establish the work of your hands." Love, Jackie
PS We had brunch at our house this morning and so enjoyed sharing thoughts and stories from there with the YWAM girls. We thanked God for you. HI to J-me, too!

Kristen said...

Amanda, I love what i hear is happening! These kids' lives really are changed forever because of the work that you and your team are doing. from the physical therapy that helps them walk strong again to the stories of Jesus and talking to them about what they are thankful for, they won't be the same!

Today kevin and i were driving back from a 2 day trip to St. Louis when my alarm to pray for you at 12 went off. kevin and i both prayed in the car for your energy, the kids, and again that a mass salvation among the children's families would break out during story time.

you know, i'm thinking that when you get back, we practice our French together to get you ready to be there in Haiti without translators. what do you say?
can't wait to see you again, but almost feel like you're really close.

play with those kids a little extra for me.
love,
kristen