Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This one's for the nurses!

First, thank you all for your prayers for our Deseiree. She is really feeling soo much better. Today I saw a Deseiree that I had not seen before! She was so full of joy, just laughing and laughing all the time; Laughing so hard that every time she tried to stop she just started laughing again. And she is excited to learn the parts of the Bible study that she had missed out on while she was sick in bed.

Second, today I had the experience of taking our precious Grace to the hospital. It is a little bit backwards here because when a person is sick you first go to the hospital and then if they do not get well they will go to the Doctor’s office! So strange, but I guess the doctor at the office is much more thorough and accurate in their diagnosis, but the hospital is much cheaper. Grace woke up today feeling awful and looking so pitiful. At the hospital they needed to draw blood from her. Oh my! I can now begin to imagine what it is like for a mom who has to watch her child be poked and prodded at. It took a lot for me to not tell the nurse to step aside and let me draw the labs from Grace. The needle was so big and fat, and Grace is just so small with tiny veins! They tried twice in the worse spot and with such a strange technique. And then.....they went for her neck!!!! I haven’t even been trained to do that so I do give them props, but they didn’t even look in her ac(elbow)! The poor dear! I did suggest to the nurse that we wrap her like we do at CMH, and I am so glad because then I actually got to be the one to hold her on the table while they drew the labs.

6 Henson nurses: You are all so amazing! These nurses, I am sure they are good at their job, I do not intend to belittle their worth, but they have not been trained and you have. They do not explain a word to the child. There is no comforting being done. And when the child cries afterwards, they yell so harshly at the child! So as I held Grace, I spoke soft and sweetly to her. And afterwards like a hurt little lamb she came to me to hold my hand. Here again I found myself in tears!

Tomorrow the hospital will do a test on Grace that will tell us if she has AIDS or not. Please pray! I do not want this for her! And please pray that she be healed of whatever this sickness is!

No comments: