Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hangin' at the Haven

This is miss Grace. She is from the bushmen people and is so tiny and light that she felt like a doll sitting on my shoulders. Grace is super spunky, but also very sweet. She may have been the most "unwelcoming" at the start, and still gives me quite a bit of trouble, but she is also my biggest protector and full of hugs and kisses. Quite a smart little gem too!
All the kids listening to the Bible Study. This was the 4th lesson and the first time I had a translator! It was a sweet lesson too! This was Monday and the last lesson until they return from "holiday." The lesson was about Heaven, such a hopeful place to dream of no matter your present surroundings!
Here is Mandy loving on the children. She loves each child as if it were her very own. Quinn is on her lap, that is her own daughter by birth, but Lihongeni is under her arm and then Terrens is the boy on her lap. He is one who cried today when he had to say goodbye and head on his way to some distant family friends. He really did not want to go. Broke our hearts!
This is Alexia. A very special girl! She wants to be a doctor when she grows up. She loves horses and all animals. Her favorite class in school is science. She is very artistic, and has a beautiful smile (though she's hiding it here quite well!). One afternoon she and I sat to tea and coffee. She was so cute! She just sat there waiting for her tea to cool and began chatting with me about all sorts of important things, like when is Anja's baby due, and how is she doing, and how great it will be when Alexia is a doctor.....a really cherished moment for both of us that I will always remember!
We gave the kids ice cream today to celebrate that is is now the end of school for them and the start of holiday. This is Imoi enjoying every spoonful!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

HEY! Very important, is there any way you can give me an exact address to the Haven? If i send it to the P.O. Box, I have to use the post office, which will take over a month to get there and it will probably get lost or stolen in the process. If I Fed Ex it or ship it UPS, it would take about a week and be much more secure. So if you can, give me a new address as soon as possible. If you don't have one, I will send it the old way and just pray it gets there! We bought videos today, so it's all taped up ready to go!

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda, just a note to say hello. It is great that you can keep us updated using this blog. You are a great blessing for those children!
I love you,
Dad