Saturday, August 9, 2008

Saturdays are Saturdays no matter where you go!

Welp, it has been a nice relaxing day. Bethany, Katy and I went into town this morning. We met some of the towns people and had a good time with it! An elderly German couple who make souvenirs invited us into their home and gave us fresh picked oranges! SO JUICY AND TASTY-we each had a whole orange to ourselves! Then we went over to a place called Kashana that is a bed&breakfast type place. There is a woman there with a small shop. I talked to her about selling jewelry there if I teach some of the older girls at the Haven to do some. She thought it a great idea, very encouraging! Then we met another older couple who have lived here since 1992, but come from Georgia of all places! Very funny pair, but nice. We sat to coffee with them outside on what I would call a veranda(?).
When we came home there were kids scattered here and there doing their own thing. The older boys were down the road working on a car with neighbors, the girls were adding extensions to each others hair. The little ones and the girls and Mandy the house mom sat around singing great songs while I helped teach a young boy how to cross-stitch....
After dinner we taught the house dad how to play the card game called Dutch Blitz. He was hilarious! A couple girls also started braiding Bethany and I's hair. Bethany is the lovely new owner of her own extension. After all that pulling and twisting....I am wondering if I will have any hair left on my head in the morning!
All in all it was a great Saturday! Very refreshing and encouraging to me to see all the love being shown in this place today. So much togetherness and peace, even among the more difficult kids! I am glad!
Tomorrow will be our first African church service. Katy and I are very excited about this!

Oh and hello my Jenni! Thank you for the love! Yes, stickers would be grand! A letter for me would be so great too;)! There is not much else I need really. The store here has a lot. Oh how I love you!
I love you all and will try to post more pics soon! My camera battery charger broke so I had to wait until I could get some replacement batteries! Yikes! I'd have you send a new charger, but it'd likely get stollen. Oh well!

2 comments:

Nichole said...

Wow, I LOVE reading all your blogs. You are doing a great job in keeping all of us updated! I only wish I could see more photo's. But I guess I can see more when you get back home! Thats great about the jewelry thing! I'm going to be selling my jewelry at a booth in a couple weeks, so I need to get crackin on making more cool pieces! Love you, and look forward to hearing more!!

Yvonne Stiles said...

Sounds like such a wonderful Saturday! I'm so glad that the Lord blessed you with peacefulness and fun. I think you should come home with a head full of weaves...or at least take some fun photos for us :)
Love you so much my dear friend,
Yvonne