Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy Hectic Haven?

Good morning dears! You would not believe how cold it is here in Namibia! I really am not complaining because I know it will be soo hot in KC. I am just shocked though! I don't know how cold it is, but I know I used 4 blankets on my bed lastnight!

Anyway, I am enjoying all the sorts of extremes in my living situation in the past weeks! I went from cold showers and small meals, to hot showers and huge meals, to now dinners consisting sometimes of stale bread and butter and tea. But really really, I am learning to be greatful in every situation. I can see why someone who does not think they have the things they "need" in life might begin longing for what others have. I laughed at myself yesterday at a meal when I was looking over at someones unfinnished plate. I actually wanted it! I didn't take it, and reminded myself I shouldn't want what others have. It's like the lessons you teach a child! Oh me!

Welp, we had a birthday party for Gustav Saturday evening. Did I tell you already? He turned 12. So cute! He was a happy guy! Though I nearly cried when in the middle of his celebration, the woman who is now in charge here stopped the whole thing. About 5 kids had stolen from another volunteer and they were all being punnished right in the middle of it! Not my style of discipline! It wasn't even Gustav who had done wrong!

The kids here do still need constant prayer! I see that while Pop Jansen is present (She's in charge), they are nearly angelic, but the moment she is away they are worse rascals than I remember! I am glad for Aaron who is here from Wisconsin. He has a gift of teaching and really is a great father figure for the kids. But he is only here for a few weeks. We both agree that they need someone long term.....

Well dears, see you!

2 comments:

Sean. said...

hey amanda.

Know that you are being prayed for here. We miss your company but I know God is doing so many amazing things through you. You will be headed home soon, praying for that adventure.

Just wanted to say hello and say we missed you and are praying for you here.

Also be praying - at the moment Hawa is not feeling to hot, we need prayer for her and I knew Jesus will come through, He always does.

we also just got a new house hopefully after some craziness but it should be ours soon. just wanted to keep you updated, you are a dear friend.

Blessings, Sean.

Thad and Mary May said...

Thanks for the update. When Mary and I were in Namibia in July I remember air wide open skies and clean nights with spectacular view of the stars. Enjoy the wonder of it.